Saturday 26 October 2013

Altered Box

Hi everyone, Astrid here with my second project for October.
Even though it is nearly Halloween, I decided not to make another Halloween project, but to alter this box as a gift for a crafty friend.

This box started life as a rather ugly purple cardboard jewellery box (stupidly I forgot to take a "before" picture), but I liked the lining on the inside and thought it would be perfect to be altered as a little gift for a crafty friend.
I started by adding some texture to the lid with  the new 6 x 6 Chevron mask, using some Paper Artsy Grunge Paste. When dry I painted the whole box with French Roast Fresco Paint and dried with my heat gun. I then added a layer of Distress Crackle Paint in Tea Dye and when that had dried and cracked I then painted the whole box again with Bundled Sage Distress Paint, the last step was to add some Walnut Stain Distress Stain over the lid to seep into the cracks created by the crackle paint.
Here is a close up of the crackle, love how it turned out over the raised bits of the mask.

Next for some decoration of the lid.
I took a Tim Holtz Ornate Plate and altered it with the help of Salty Ocean and Bundled Sage Distress Paints
Next I stamped one of the sayings of the new Grungy Greetings stamps on a scrap of book paper and cut out just the word Love. I glued it behind the opening in the ornate plate added a couple of little brads and adhered it to the lid of my box.
Now for the content: I glued some scrapbook paper to a piece of an old cereal box and stamped the bobbin from the Katie Fox A Stitch in Time set 3 times, cut them out and inked around the edges a bit.
Next I wound some bits of Antique Lace and Seam Binding around them and fitted them in the box.


The final step was to rub some Treasure Gold in White Fire around the edges of the box and over the raised bits and that was it, gift box complete....
Hope you like it and see you next time. Thanks for visiting and have a happy stamping time!

37 comments:

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid
The Box looks fabulous.
Smiles:)
Sue

HeARTworks said...

Gorgeous!!!! 3000 likes! Patsy from
HeARTworks

barbarayaya62 said...

Wonderful box! love this idea!!! barbarayaya

Marci said...

Beautiful. Lucky recipient.

Brenda Brown said...

Mmmmmm a gorgeous make.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Maryann Laursen said...

No sorry I don´t like it, I LOVE it. it´s sooo gorgeous and over the top amazing, that I almost can´t find words to cover it.

maria's knutselplezier said...

wow Astrid what an amazing masterpiece, I love the very old look of it its stunning!!

Have a wonderfull weekend !!!

Maria

marda said...

What a beautiful box you've created... and I thought that might be T.H. distress crackle. I've used it a few times and I love that look. It's time to put Halloween projects away and go for some glam.

Claudia N. said...

A brilliant make, Astrid!

Can't stop looking at it! Sooo beautiful!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Annie said...

A fabulous gift idea and I love the texture and crackle.

TFS and crafty hugs
Annie x

Marianne said...

Beautiful texture and a lovely giftbox!
xxx Marianne

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous box Astrid ! I love the colours and the crackle and texture is fabulous ! Sue C x

massofhair said...

Stunning box, gorgeous textures and the crackle is fab:-)

Paula Whittaker said...

What a lovely gift for your friend x

Hazel Agnew said...

Fabulous effect. Am going to have a go!

Jools Robertson said...

LOVE this so beautiful, the colour and texture is stunning. Your friend will be very pleased

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...wowzers Astrid this is one yummy little box, I love it...Mel:))x

Words and Pictures said...

What a wonderful gift - I love the spools inside, and that aged crackle on the box looks completely amazing. Brilliant work, as ever, Astrid!
Alison xx

chrissie said...

This is very beautiful with such wonderful textures and colours

Chrissie x

krcmasterpiece said...

LOVE it!!!!!!

Maryanne said...

I just love this box!! The crackle paint over the stenciled area is fantastic!! All the texture is great! The bobbins of lace and seam binding are such a lovely idea. Fantastic project, Astrid! Love, love, love it!!!

Nan G said...

So love the crackle! Gorgeous little box. Lucky lucky crafty friend.

Almo said...

Hi Astrid, Not sure which I like best the box or the contents they are both so nice. What a lovely gift for your crafty friend. Hugs Mo x

Dorthe said...

Astrid, dear, what an amazing box,- wow you did make it look fabolous,-with that crackle and the inside pieces are beautiful, too !!
Hugs, Dorthe

Jenny Marples said...

Absolutely beautiful Astrid. The texture you've got onto the surfaces makes this so special and I love the altered metal. Jenny x

Anonymous said...

To my mind, the perfect gift - I love boxes and it isn't such a secret that I love lace!
Your friend will be overjoyed to receive this.
Gorgeous texture achieved.
Wishes
Lynne

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Looks fab!!

Caroline said...

Astrid, Astrid, Astrid.....
You never cease to amaze me with your creations!! The chevron, grunge paste, crackle, paints - you put them together & make something look like a rare piece of rock. And that's just one side of the lid?? What an amazing effect! The ornate label with word, the bobbins (cereal box - really?) & the beautiful vintage lace... All of it is just incredible! Sorry for lists but you put so many components together, all of it works!! Awe inspiring :))

craftyb said...

Fabulous!!x

Terry said...

A gift to be treasured and that crackle is fabulous! Hugs!

Margaret Mifsud said...

Stunning Astrid!!! Gorgeous colour and I love the texture and the crackle!! What a wonderful gift, your friend will be so thrilled!! Love it!! ox

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the texture, & the little bobbins of lace & ribbon.
Alison xxx

Wendy said...

Wow, this looks fab! Love those little spools of ribbon inside, lovely gift. xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Great box with lovely cracking !
Corrie x

Linda M. Cain said...

Simply gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous project, Astrid. Now I definitely have to pick up distress paint asap! thank you for sharing with us! - Vivian

Artyjen said...

That texture is just amazing! Lovely box of treats ;)
xoxo Sioux