Thursday 10 October 2013

I am creating

Hello all, it's Alison (butterfly) here, with a hanging to share.  I've used some of the brand new Journalling Words stamps on this one.  If you haven't seen Jennie's fabulous new releases, check them out here... and don't forget there's a brand new line of Artistic Stamper masks too!

Back to the hanging... this was one of those makes where I just sat down and let it flow.  It was made in 5 minute segments, over several days, in between sorting and packing boxes, but oh my word, those minutes were lovely!  And I even like the finished piece too!


Because of the five-minute-flow-process, and the fact that my brain is really elsewhere at present, I'm afraid I haven't got any 'making-of' photos, but I'll show you some details and let you know approximately what I got up to as we go.


I started with the tag, doing a Distress Paint and Distress Stain combination with the wrinkle-free distress technique.  You get lovely swirls of combined opacity and translucence - solid paint colours and glowing inks - and all in my favourite blues and greens.  I then used some Broken China and Peacock Feathers Distress Inks to ink over the top, and then spritz and flicked with water to add extra texture to the layers of colour.


Next step was some Picket Fence Distress Paint applied through one of the new Tim Holtz stencils.  (I started the hanging before the new Artistic Stamper releases were out or I could have used one those new masks!)

And I then stamped the lovely Tim Holtz meadow grasses in Cornflower Blue Archival (one of the new Wendy Vecchi colours).


I used Fresco paints to add some extra detailing to the flower heads, starting with Snowflake and adding South Pacific for some turquoise colour.  Then I added some even finer detailing using the Inkssentials white pen.  I love how they've ended up.


I stamped the Tim Holtz bird in Wendy Vecchi's Potting Soil, and used the white pen again to add highlights to the image.


The final step with the tag was to add some texture stamping, for which I used the TH Postcard stamp and one of my favourite Pink Paislee music advertisement stamps from my stash.


Next, it was on to the background and what else but corrugated cardboard?  I started with a good coat of white paint, and then added Grunge Paste through the same Cargo Letters stencil as on the tag.


I blended some Mowed Lawn and Broken China Distress Ink over them, and then added some texture stamping using the fabulous Artistic Stamper Mini Dots and Sequin Waste.


I used Distress Stains and a water brush to add some 'watercolour' inky detailing in the grooves of the cardboard - really love this!


I added some Tim Holtz Remnant Rubs, matching the Postcard to the Postcard stamp on the tag...


...and generally "keeping an eye" on things.  I didn't want the Remnant Rubs to be quite as vibrantly black as they were, so I put a light wash of white paint over them, as well as inking them to blend in with their surroundings.


I was delighted to find that I could get these flourish transfers (sorry, that's what we used to call them when I was little) down into the grooves of the corrugated card too!


The words are stamped onto another tag that I'd done some wrinkle-free distress technique on - again with the combination of paints and stains.


The big create is embossed in Bright White over Versamark ink.


The new stamps - I am creating - are stamped in the Cornflower Blue Archival and then clear embossed.


I never tire of how the light catches on the glossy embossing - I love embossing my words!


So, a bit of Paper Distresser action around all my spare edges, and some torn, inked edges in other places and, of course, some Distress Stain dyed seam binding (but of course) and we're done.


Can't tell you how much joy creating this provided in the midst of chaos and turmoil all around.  I hope it gives you just as much pleasure to look at!


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Do come and play along in our Alter Something challenge this month,  We'd love to see you there... but for now, I'll just wish you happy crafting, and go and get on with some more box-shifting.  At least the end is in sight now... only a week to go, and then we have to be done, like it or not!!

Ingredients used:

Artistic Stamper Stamps: Journalling Words 2 and Journalling Words 5, Mini Polka Dot, Sequin Waste Open Size
Various Tim Holtz stamps by Stampers Anonymous
Cargo Layering Stencil
Grunge Paste
Distress Paints
Distress Stains
Distress Inks
Idea-ology Remnant Rubs
Fresco Finish Paints
Inkssentials White Pen
Seam Binding

24 comments:

massofhair said...

Beautiful Tag, love how you have combined different mediums together to achieve your gorgeous finish. The new journal stamps are on my wish list:-)

Scraps of Elegance said...

Gorgeous piece of art Alison. I adore how you used that corrugated card board, awesome work.

Sandy said...

The colors are so pretty together and I know how you love using corrugated card board. I don't see how you are getting done all you do. You should be exhausted by now.
Sandy

Marci said...

These colors are so soothing and refreshing. Is that a contradiction? Anyway, this is lovely. All the techniques work so well together.

Anke said...

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING !!!

toni said...

Love these layers, such depth of colour but still remaining light and delicate x

Helen said...

Gorgeous tag, Alison - LOVE the colours, (that cornflower archival is my favourite!)and all the elements (I used to call them transfers too..!) - glad you found the 5 minute bursts to make this, it was so worth it. Happy packing...

Jenny Marples said...

Glad you got some time out to get this beautiful hanging created Alison. Such a fantastic way to test run the new stamp designs. Jenny x

Sid said...

Very nice hanging, loving the colours !!

Deborah said...

Such a beautiful hanging, Alison - and a great idea to knock back the remnant rubs with white. Fab!

Astrid Maclean said...

Sometimes going with the flow is just the very best thing. This hanging is lovely and I'm so happy for you that you got to play between packing boxes!

Redanne said...

So glad you found the five minute bursts to create this wonderful hanging Alison, I love the colours (very you) and all the layering. Loving that eye at the top. Hugs, Anne x

Artyjen said...

Fabby ;) Love the colour combo and the shabby layers ;)
xoxo Sioux
Good luck with the packing!!!

froebelsternchen said...

it´s a simply FANTASTIC hanger! WOW!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely hanging Alisom, love the corrugated card and the blues and greens. Wonderful mix of layers and Imlove,the meadow type flowers and the bird focal image. Love the touches of,white too. Tracy x

trisha too said...

Lovely piece, Alison!

:)trisha

May said...

Gorgeous hanging Alison...the blues & greens are perfect..Love all the layers & stamping...Beautiful work... Hugs May x x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hanging Alison, love the colours and the stamping.Sue C x

Kezzy said...

Wow gorgeous hanging, I love the colours and your background is amazing Kezzy :-) xxx

Annie said...

love this hanging Alison, the colours are beautiful and there is so much wonderful detail in the layers.

The stamps are definitely on my wishlist

Take care

Annie x

Dianne said...

Yes Missy, my favorite too, all my favorite things, the bird as the focal, yes I'm in loooooove, thanks so much for sharing..

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

what a great stamping work ! awesome !

Wendy said...

So pretty, love the corrugated cardboard and the fab colours. So well put together and such attention to detail, fabulous! xx

Margaret said...

Beautiful! LOVE the colors!